Try not to laugh.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Week 10 blog A

This blog is my critique of David Rendall’s “FREAK FACTOR: Discovering Uniqueness by Flaunting Weakness”.

#3. Flawless: There's Nothing Wrong With You

While I was initially turned off by the title, after reading the section I see that Rendall has a point. Perhaps the fact that I have a short attention span is really helpful for my creativity. I've been writing episodes for a possible TV show for about 5 months, and I have never finished an episode in just one sitting. Looking back, I realize this is a good thing, because I sometimes got great ideas for the ending of an episode from witnessing things in between writing sessions. I've had similar things happen with my stand-up, and now I think this may be the best way to write. I wouldn't suggest stopping if you're on a roll, but if you're stuck then come back to it later and you might bring some new inspiration with you.

#6. Focus: You Can't Do Both

This section spoke to me as a comedian. The section is about not being able to have things both ways and as a comedian I have found that I can't make people laugh and please everyone at the same time. Personally, I have chosen to develop a comedic persona that is somewhat offensive and narcissistic, of which I am neither. This began mostly by the fact that my greatest comedic influence was and is Daniel Tosh, but it also helps because I am telling jokes mainly to white college students and they aren't likely to get upset at any of my jokes. I've focused on my (I guess you'd call it a strength?) that I am also a white college student and I write jokes that I myself would laugh at.

#9. Freak Factory: Putting Your Quirks to Work

This one was a little bittersweet for me. He talks throughout the whole article about focusing on developing your strengths, but in this section he flat out says you should stop doing things that you're weak at. For me, this is schoolwork. I would say that my major weakness right now is that I have no motivation to do any schoolwork that I'm not interested in. Even now, in a media class that I thought would motivate me, I am painstakingly writing this. However, I know I can't drop out. My parents wouldn't support me if I did and I haven't made enough of a name for myself as a stand-up comedian to start going out on the road (also, my car can't go on highways). I like this section in theory, but pragmatically I am against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment