Try not to laugh.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Written response to Karim Rashid’s Creative Manifesto.

The aspect of Rashid's Manifesto that resonated with me most was the first one on the list: don't specialize. I've used this quote from Donald Glover before, but I think it fits well here also: "Who knows what they are all the time? I’m different stuff every second of every day. I don’t know why people confine themselves. I know it be easier if I just did funny stuff, or just music, or just writing, but I’m more than that. That’s not me. That’s not anyone. Everyone is everything, if they let themselves." I know that I would have a lot more pent up energy if I didn't express myself creatively through more than one medium. I write, I rap, I tell jokes. I can't just flip a switch and turn one of these off, even if I wanted to. Sometimes it's distracting when I'm writing stand-up and an idea for a short film pops in my head, but I know I would be worse off in the end if I didn't take a break to write it down and visualize it. That's not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment